Renee Shelby is a young child who lives in the residential section of Cydonia. She is the creator of Space Frog from Outer Space, a character of her own invention that she will ask you to help share with the rest of the facility.
When you pass by her she may say:
- "Do you ever get songs stuck in your head? Sometimes I have to make up my own songs just to get rid of them."
- "Mars is soooo boring sometimes."
Speaking to her will have her attempt to get to you to agree to further conversation:
- "Hi! I'm Renee, and I'm sooo bored. My mom and dad say not to talk to people I don't know, so I thought maybe I could talk to you and then I'd know you, and I won't be so bored!"
Can't argue with that logic. Sure, we can talk. I'm <Alias=Player>.
- "Aw, see! Now we're friends, and my parents can't say I'm not allowed to talk to you!"
I don't know if that loophole works the way you think it works.
- "Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but trust me. I thought about it lots, and it should be okay. Besides, now we're already talking and it's too late not to."
It's probably best to respect your parents' wishes, then, don't you think?
- "Aww, you're no fun! I just want to talk to someone because I'm soooo bored, plus, you're already talking to me, so if you change your mind, I'll still be here."
I'm really not someone you want to talk to, kid.
- "Oh... why?"
Because I'm an adult and you're a child, and I said so.
- "Aw, that's not a good reason. Why don't you want to talk to me, really?"
I don't have to answer you. This conversation is over.
- "Oh fine... but you won't get to hear about all the fun things I do here, then. I'll still be around if you change your mind!"
Because I've killed people.
- "Oooh! You sound dangerous. But so what? You don't seem very dangerous right now. Why can't we just talk?"
Because I've done horrible things I'm not proud of.
- "Oooh! Like what? See, now you have to tell me. Why don't you want to talk about it?"
Because I have crippling social anxiety and conversations with people I don't know make me nervous.
- "What? I don't understand, but maybe talking with me would help! I'm friendly! Why don't you want to talk with me?"
Anyway, what do you want to talk about?
Once you agree to talk to her more, you can ask her questions:
Are there lots of other kids your age to play with around here?
- "Not really... I mean, there's Taye, he's a good friend, but he's also one of my only friends. There aren't many kids on Mars because my Mom says that this is really only a place where people come to work hard jobs for a little while. But I wish there were more kids, because it gets boring like when Taye is busy and my Mom and Dad are off working."
Do you like living in Cydonia?
- "It's okay, I guess. It's better than living outside, because Mars can't support life outside, and I'd die. But maybe it would be nice to live on another planet someday. I think I used to when I was a real little kid, and sometimes my Mom and Dad take me to visit my Grandma and Grandpa in New Atlantis."
There can't be much for kids to do around here.
Oh, you're back! Do you wanna help me put up those pictures of Space Frog now? Please? I like to play with Taye sometimes. We come up with lots of games to play. Sometimes we listen to music, or watch shows.
But when he's not around, I like to draw. Sometimes I draw things and give them to people, since they're so mopey all the time. It makes them smile.
Actually... wanna help me? I just drew these great pictures of Space Frog, but I can't go out right now. Can you help put them up for me?
Sure, I'd love to. Just tell me where to put them.
You will? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! People are going to be so happy! Here's a bunch of copies of the Space Frog drawing I made. You can post them in places where you think people will see them. Thank you so much!
What's a 'space frog?'
It's "Space Frog from Outer Space" and he's a little frog character that I made up! I've never seen a real frog before, but I've seen pictures. Anyway, he lives in space, and goes around to different planets helping people who are sad or need help. He's great!
Does that actually help people?
My Mom says it does. She says her work friends like my drawings because they make them smile. She says it's because there aren't many kids here, and lots of people miss having kids around, or it reminds them of their families.
Sorry, I can't help you right now, kid.
Aww... fine... Maybe later, then.
Are your parents okay with this?
Yeah, they've let me do it before. But they're working, so they can't help me do it and they don't let me leave the condos without them. They say it's for my safety... but my friend Taye's mom sometimes lets him go out without her. I dunno.